Home Office Essentials
In order to maintain a professional level of service for our clients and their customers, SYKES Home has a uniform set of technical and home office requirements for all of our work at home professionals.
- Computer Requirements
- Internet Access Requirements
- Telephone Line Access Requirements
- Headset Requirements
- Office Set-Up
- PC running Windows Vista or Windows 7
- Minimum 20 GB free hard drive disk space
- Minimum 2 GB RAM
- 2.0 GHz Dual Core Processor required (multi-core and faster speeds of processor are also acceptable)
Monitor with minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 (1280x1024 recommended)
- If the program you are hired for requires a separate monitor, your monitor must have VGA connection available, as the equipment we provide is only compatible with VGA connection
- Sound card and speakers to listen to audio files
- Current Anti-Virus software with updated definitions (SYKES Home recommends: Microsoft Security Essentials or Nod32)
- Current anti-spyware software (Alpine Access recommends: Super Anti-Spyware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Malwarebytes)
Firewall installed & operating -or- Windows firewall turned on
- Be sure to always download your protection software from the developer’s website. Many products that are not listed above may or may not be acceptable for use with SYKES Home systems. You may be asked to uninstall any protection software including the above listed software if it is necessary during troubleshooting.
- Alpine Access will not be held liable for any virus, spyware or malware obtained regardless of protection software recommendation.
- Subscription to a reliable, high-speed, hard-wired, bi-directional Internet connection. DSL or Cable with bi-directional speeds of 512K or more
- No satellite or wireless Internet service
- Internet Explorer 8 or later
Highly Recommended: A home router with at least the following features:
• IP address routing
• Network Address Translation (NAT)
• DHCP functions
• Firewall functions
• LAN connectivity like a network switch
- Some SYKES Home Customer implementations REQUIRE a router
Analog landline that meets one of these requirements:
• Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) – traditional landline phone service using a
dedicated copper pair to the home.
• Cable – phone service from a Cable TV service provider.
• Fiber-Optic – phone line provided by a local phone service.
- A telephone line that you can dedicate for your use while working, and that you can use while also accessing the Internet. Please note, this phone line will not be available for personal household use during your shift hours.
- The telephone must be a corded traditional telephone. No cordless, cellular/wireless or VoIP phones (Vonage, AT&T CallVantage, etc.).
- You are required to purchase two different types of headsets – a USB headset for online training and a telephone headset for taking live customer calls.
USB headset for online training will need to plug into your computer. The USB headset will be needed prior to your first day of training and will continually be used for ongoing training. A USB headset can range in price from $20-$100, and can be purchased at most stores that sell computer equipment or office supplies. The USB headset must meet these minimum requirements:
• Features a microphone
• Connects to your computer via a USB port.
• Features a mute button
Telephone headset to take calls will need to plug directly into your telephone base. The telephone headset is required in order to begin work. The headset can range in price from $25-$100 and can be purchased at major retailers and office supply stores. Because you will be wearing the telephone headset for long periods of time, it must be comfortable, and meet these minimum requirements:
• Corded. All cordless headsets are unacceptable
• Features a "noise cancelling" microphone
- Comfortable and ergonomically safe furniture and office set-up
- Quiet, free of any background noise (we have a zero tolerance policy for noise)